Sunday, April 01, 2007

Lordi- The Arockalypse

After a long hiatus (again), I have returned for what I hope will be numerous updates/posts today.

I recently heard the lineup for the 2007 edition of Ozzfest, which is going to be free admission this year. Unfortunately, Ozzfest is not coming to the Virginia/DC area this year (which is total bullshit, thanks a lot for the tease Sharon). Therefore, if I want to see Ozzy this year, I have to go all the way to Philadephia. Based on the lineup, I don't see me making that trip. They haven't announced the full lineup yet, but the "headliner" with Ozzy is Lamb of God. I hate that screaming/roaring shit that people claim is good music, so unless the other unknown bands are AMAZING, I'm not going.

However, in looking at the lineup, I saw that a band that I had never heard of, Lordi, would be on the main stage. I decided to download their album and research the band a little bit.

Lordi is basically a hard rock/metal band from Finland that a casual music fan would classify as a GWAR knock-off. But in reality, Lordi is much more talented than GWAR. They wear monster costumes and have stage names like Mr. Lordi and Ana the Mummy. Lordi won the Eurovision contest last year with their song "Hard Rock Hallelujah." That song is probably the best song on the album, but "Supermonstars" and "Kids Who Wanna Play With the Dead" are close behind. Lordi uses some humor, but it does not overshadow the band's amazing musical talents. They incorporate some speed metal (a la Judas Priest, complete with screeching) with 80s style sing-a-longs. The choruses are almost always worthy of headbanging, and the lyrics are great. The lead singer, Mr. Lordi, sounds like he threw the vocal stylings of Rob Halford (Judas Priest), Oderus Urungus (GWAR), and Bon Scott (original AC/DC) into a blender and used the product. Definitely capable of rocking out, screaming, and actual melodic harmony all in one.

I love The Arockalypse. From the very beginning of the album, where they open with a hilarious fake newscast of a monster invasion, the album keeps your interest all the way through. Buy the extended version and get a few extra songs, including the absolutely awesome "Mr. Killjoy." I still probably won't trek to Philly to see Lordi, but I am planning on seeing them in a more intimate club setting soon. They are definitely a great band, and if you are interested in GWAR, but don't want to deal with their sometimes rediculousness, Lordi is your band. Buy The Arockalypse and prepare for the end!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home