Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Sweet Emotion

One of the main reasons I'm so addicted to music came at an early age. I realized very early on that songs have certain powers over us. Music touches us in every aspect of our lives. Odds are that at some point in your life, a song came to personify that time period which you first heard it. That's why I find music so interesting. It sticks with you for your whole life. You hear a song from times past and it immediately sends you back to that time in your head. Some songs conjur up happy memories, others bring sadness. Some songs make you angry, and others can cheer you up no matter how bad of a mood you're in.

I constantly experience this emotional roller coaster when I'm listening to my iPod. I often listen to it on "random" or "shuffle" or whatever the setting is called, so I get any of the thousands of songs I own at any given time. It can make me listen to Pantera, then all of a sudden it goes to Elton John or Chuck Berry. I was walking around today with my headphones in, listening to the iPod on shuffle. It played a song that brought up some very negative memories in my head. I won't get into specifics, but I'll say that at one point, a girl told me the song reminded her of me. That relationship ended very badly, so I'd never listened to the song since the break-up because it really depressed me and made me question what I thought of myself. But today was different. I don't know whether I was just lazy and didn't want to change the song, or if I subconsciously wanted to hear the song, but either way, I listened to the whole song for the first time in years.

I'm sure everyone who is reading this has had a similar situation like mine. I don't know about you, but for some reason, listening to that song today felt good. I won't lie, part of me was still saddened to hear the lyrics, but some other emotion was being felt. So here is why I wrote this entry... I have some advice. No matter how terrible of a time period you associate with a certain song or musician, at some point when you feel it's been long enough, listen to it again. It's very interesting what emotions one singular song by some crappy band from 2004 can bring out in you. You'll be amazed. I hope that you're experience is healing and a positive one, like mine was. But even if you get mad, start to cry, get depressed, punch the cat, whatever, you'll actually be doing yourself some good. Eventually, we need to let those emotions fade, or at least try to make them fade. Otherwise, they might just cause some major damage. So let those emotions out, and listen to the songs that you hate because they make you hurt. It really can do some good. Then, maybe, you'll be able to do what we should all do... LET IT BE (which, btw, is a great song to listen to if you need to cheer the hell up)!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home