Monday, December 10, 2007

grammys and the Idiots Who Think They are Relevent

If you read my blog frequently, or have at least read what i have wrote previously, you may have gotten the idea that I am not fond of the grammy awards. I find them to be a complete joke. Always have. Metallica being robbed of the inaugural Best Metal Group/Song whatever in the 80s is just the tip of the iceberg. Cutting off Frank Sinatra was another low point. So needless to say I don't think they are relevent or even really considering a part of music as a whole. However, with the 50th anniversary of the awards being this year, I thought it would be interesting to see who was nominated. Obviously, the choices pissed me off. Their ideas of rock music simply baffle me. But it was nice to see that I was not the only one who found this year's nominees to be a complete crock of shit. The two people who objected to the nominees are the subject of my rant.

The two people who have spoken out against the grammys and their pathetic excuses for nominees are Nine Inch Nails mastermind Trent Reznor and Fall Out Boy bassist Pete Wentz. Both of these guys had pretty legitimate points as to what they were complaining about. They essentially said the same thing, that their respective bands should have been nominated for at least one award. Now, if I held the grammys in any sort of respect, I might agree with both of these guys. If I believed in the grammys and their effect on the music business, I would agree that both Nine Inch Nails and Fall Out Boy were robbed. But I don't think like that. Fall Out Boy were only robbed in the sense that they being a Top 40, teenie-bopper, pathetic excuse for rock band are the type of group that is USUALLY nominated by the grammys. Hence why I hate the grammys. In any other year for the past 3 years, Fall Out Boy would have received numerous nominations, and would have probably been up for Album of the Year. But tough break dumbasses, the grammys might have finally realized that you suck. One can only hope.

Now Nine Inch Nails is a completely different story. I am a HUGE NIN fan and I personally think that just about everything Trent Reznor has ever done is brilliant. While I admit that being such a fan of the group makes me extremely biased, I can also admit that NIN's most recent album, Year Zero, was not that great. Trent has definitely pumped out better albums, and the closeness in release of With Teeth and Year Zero may have hurt both albums' effectiveness. Most NIN albums take some time to listen to, process, and really hit you. These two albums were I'm sure no different. But regardless, Year Zero definitely had some kick ass tracks. Trent continues to invent and distort notes to add to the dark ferocity of the album, making the apocolyptic theme of the album seep into you. The album was definitely interesting and rocking, while sticking to the industrial side of Trent. I would say it would be deserving of a damn nomination in at least ONE category.

Trent Reznor had every right to bitch and complain about not getting nominated. He is a true genius in the music industry, and just because he is edgy and not a radio cash whore does not warrant the album not getting nominated. Pete Wentz can go write another song about being sad and in love and make another million. He doesn't need a fuckin grammy. Shut up Wentz.

To summarize..... grammys suck... Fall Out Boy sucks... and NIN is still amazing

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home