Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Metallica- "DEATH MAGNETIC"

After literally being away from this thing for almost a year, I think it's appropriate that I start with a review of my favorite band's new album, Metallica's "Death Magnetic."

After all the shit I had to hear about how Metallica had sold out because of the whole Napster ordeal and that their last album, "St. Anger," was terrible, I was so nervous about the new album's sound and direction. I really wanted my favorite band to get back on track and become a monster band again. The anxiety that I felt sounds a little silly, but I was really worried that St. Anger had signaled the end of Metallica. From what the documentary "Some Kind of Monster" showed, I was on the right track.

When I heard the first single off "Death Magnetic," which was "The Day That Never Comes," I got really excited. I won't lie, the verse was a little weak for my tastes at first, but it has definitely grown on me. The song is really amazing because it has three very different parts that flow seemlessly into one another. The first part, which is more of a power ballad, eases the song in. Then the song kicks it up a notch with the "Love is a four-letter word" verse. The excitement builds and builds and then the band steamrolls into a 2 1/2 minute instrumental thrash fest. The last two minutes of the song are by far the best Metallica has sounded musically since The Black Album. The speed, breakdowns, and tempo changes combined with Kirk Hammett's amazing solos left me at a loss for words. At the end of the song, I literally just said out loud "Wow..." and tried desperately to catch my breath. A truly amazing song that bridges the gap from Metallica of the 1990s and the Metallica of the new millenium.

What's funny about the album is that "The Day That Never Comes" isn't even the best song on the album. While I think every song on the album is amazing (even the ten minute long instrumental), the three songs that stick out to me are "Cyanide," "Broken, Beat, and Scarred", and "All Nightmare Long." The chorus of "Cyanide" is so catchy that I find myself singing it when I'm not even listening to the song. "Broken, Beat, & Scarred" is probably the most autobiographical song the band could have put on the album. The theme of "show your scars" and "we die hard" is so perfect for a band trying to reinforce their stranglehold over the genre. The band is coming from one of the most tumultuous times in their history, and they come together again and make a great album. That song represents the entire album in my opinion.

"All Nightmare Long" is probably the best song on the album in my opinion. The way James Hetfield bends his voice on the chorus makes it so passionate and intense. The song is driving and fast, and is sure to be a hit for concerts for years to come. I absolutely love it. This song is by far the one I listen to the most.

I must admit I was a little disappointed in "The Unforgiven III." I love the first two parts of the "Unforgiven" saga, and I do enjoy this one, but I was expecting a little more. The familiar note that opens both 1 and 2 is not played in the third chapter. I kinda missed that. I was hoping for the same opening with a new direction. I love the verses and the lyrics, but it just seemed to me that the song didn't really need to be titled "Unforgiven III" because it really didn't connect to the first two. Not at all saying I disliked the song. It is definitely growing on me more and more.

I think it's obvious that I am a HUGE Metallica fan and enjoy anything they ever record. The bias I have is obvious, but I don't think anyone can deny that Metallica is back. The new album is ferocious and memorable, and I think it fits nicely in with previous Metallica classics such as The Black Album and Master of Puppets. Diehards will say that this record is not on that level, but I say give it time. Rolling Stone's reviewer put it best when they said that this album represents "a sleeping giant that has been awoken." Completely true. This monster lives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home